Date: September 15, 2017
Position Title: Media Researcher Education
(6 Month Contract)
Division: Production, Distribution and Administration
Department: Enterprise Media Management
Reports To: Manager, Enterprise Media Management
Salary Range: $45,063.20 - $54,945.80
Location: Toronto, Yonge & Eglinton (on the Yonge subway line)
As the technological extension of Ontario’s public education system, TVO’s vision is to create a better world through the power of learning.
TVO provides learning opportunities for Ontarians through innovative educational products, in-depth current affairs, groundbreaking documentaries, and award-winning TVOKids resources both inside and outside the classroom. TVO is funded primarily by the Province of Ontario and is a registered charity supported by sponsors and thousands of donors. For more information, visit tvo.org.
The Media Researcher for Education is responsible for sourcing, negotiating, and clearing rights for visual elements for TVO's Independent Learning Centre (ILC) programs/ module/ courses across all media platforms and according to business needs and set standards.
- Research, screen and evaluate the suitability of, and obtain multimedia, photographic and video material for programming, publications and promotional purposes as required by internal and external stakeholders
- Confer with internal clients about requirements, costs, and deadlines
- Negotiate rates with external agencies and clear rights for the use of video clips, images, and stills in adherence to production budgets
- Research and obtain copyright clearance for visual material and provide general guidance to staff on copyright law and related procedures
- Record copyright clearances for visual material and prepare required documents for approval
- Describe, maintain and index content in the Digital Asset Management System (DAM)
- Enter new and edit existing metadata consistently and in a timely manner based on user needs, TVO policies, and industry standards to support searches, promote accessibility, and content repurposing according to business objectives
- Conduct research to enhance content descriptors, captured as meta-data in the (DAM), for particularly rare and/or high profile content
- Assist (internal and external) stakeholders with searches and provide training and support to end users of the DAM
- Develop intimate familiarity with TVO's collection to facilitate searches
- Assist with special projects as required
- Demonstrated 3-4 years’ experience in visual research and copyright clearance (i.e. stock footage/stills, multimedia, or print material) in a digital and/or print education environment preferred
- 2-3 years' experience working with cataloging material and creating metadata to support searches and accessibility
- Post-secondary education certification or 3+ years of experience in a related field
- Experience working with digital asset management system, and must be fluent with a wide variety of analog and digital formats
- Experience working in a media environment with a digital, file-based workflow
- Bilingual in written and spoken English and French
- Solid organizational and time management skills and experience working well under deadline pressure
- Solid research skills/strategies, detail-oriented and stickler for accuracy
- Strong analytical, problem solving, prioritizing and decision-making skills
- Proven negotiating skills and experience working diplomatically and with tact with all stakeholders, internal team and outside vendors
- Solid contributor to a positive and collaborative team environment with emphasis on adaptability/cooperation with peers and superiors
- Must be able to work independently, establish priorities, have excellent time management skills and work effectively under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Self-motivated and proactive professional
- Must be high energy and a quick study, capable of working independently and cohesively as part of a team
- Skilled communicator with good listening skills, ability to follow direction, exceptional grasp of the English and French language and good writing skills
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a current resume by the stated date at 5:00 p.m.
For Additional information about TVO please check out our website at TVO.org to access all of our web properties.
TVO is an equal opportunity employer and will endeavour to accommodate job applicants with disabilities through the Talent and Engagement office. Upon request, all job postings will be made available in alternative format.
TVO is committed to achieve a skilled workforce reflective of the population of Ontario.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.