Date: November 13, 2017
Position Title: Pedagogue
(2 year contract term, with consideration given to external secondments)
Division: Digital Learning
Reports To: VP, Digital Learning
Location: Toronto, Yonge & Eglinton (on the Yonge subway line)
As the technological extension of Ontario’s public education system, TVO’s vision is to create a better world through the power of learning.
TVO provides learning opportunities for Ontarians through innovative educational products, in-depth current affairs, groundbreaking documentaries, and award-winning TVOKids resources both inside and outside the classroom. TVO is funded primarily by the Province of Ontario and is a registered charity supported by sponsors and thousands of donors. For more information, visit tvo.org.
TVO is looking for two (2) Pedagogues with an understanding of best practices in online learning and learner centric environments.
The Pedagogue will apply a proven understanding of global competencies, pedagogies for deep learning and best practices in student-centred online learning to guide and inform the creation of secondary courses for TVO ILC. Your work will support independent learners to meet the provincial standard for Secondary curriculum expectations in all subjects, through the development, creation, and review of secondary courses in online and print formats.
The successful candidates will use Ontario Ministry of Education curriculum guidelines to provide instructional strategies for the universal design of content for adult and adolescent learners enrolled in secondary courses. You will mentor, coach and build staff capacity to build cutting edge pedagogy into courses. In collaboration with staff, you will build out course design requirements, review courses and course components as they are iterated, and assist with user experience testing.
Courses are delivered through TVO ILC (ilc.org).
- Collaborate with teacher writers to align course pedagogy with active learning and to plan for course interactivity
- Work with a cross-functional team to inform the creation of engaging, interactive, rigorous and relevant course content that is rooted in cutting edge pedagogy
- Present engaging, interactive, rigorous and relevant courses that support learners of diverse backgrounds and ages
- Ensure course quality and that the final products are error-free
- Accountable for course quality in order to contribute to rates of course completion and student success and ensure that the final product reflect the excellence expected in Ontario’s educational landscape
- Follow TVO’s Educational Blueprint in all development activities
- Review, provide feedback on, and in some cases co-author course content and related documentation, in keeping with TVO's quality and time requirements
- Build team capacity through pedagogical leadership to serve a diverse learner population through independent study
- Inform and review the creation of course content and digital learning activities including but not limited to course outline, Captivate creation, and wireframes for digital components.
- Analyze and interpret data sets for provincial, national, and international student success (e.g. EQAO, TIMSS, PISA) to inform development of secondary content in all subject areas
- Support testing of educational content with learner groups
- Bachelor of Education, secondary teachables with additional education or training in a related field, e.g. a Masters of Education in Curriculum
- 5+ years in instructional leadership role for secondary panel
- 5+ years of classroom experience in secondary classrooms
- Experience supporting professional development at the school, district, Faculty of Education, Curriculum Association or provincial level
- Proven ability to design appropriate, accessible, and engaging educational content for online independent learners
- Member of the Ontario College of Teachers
- Experience in adult education is an asset
- Specialist qualifications at a secondary level would be preferred
- Experience implementing Ministry of Education policy and program requirements, e.g. Creating Pathways to Success, Global Competencies, Growing Success, and Achieving Excellence
- Understanding of how to build effective and authentic assessment for learning activities
- Experience with projects where digital assets were created is an asset
- Strong time management, analytical and interpersonal skills required, along with a high degree of attention to detail
- Excellent grammar, verbal and written communication skills required, including experience in presenting to all levels of leadership
- Bilingual, French and English written and oral communication is an asset
- Demonstrates TVO's values of Excellence & Innovation, Ownership, Collaboration, Trust and Respect
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a current resume by the stated date at 5:00 p.m.
For Additional information about TVO please check out our website at TVO.org to access all of our web properties.
TVO is an equal opportunity employer and will endeavour to accommodate job applicants with disabilities through the People & Culture Division. Upon request, all job postings will be made available in alternative format.
TVO is committed to achieve a skilled workforce reflective of the population of Ontario.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.