Date: June 12, 2018
Position Title: Media Infrastructure Specialist
Department: Media Engineering
Reports To: Manager, Media Engineering
Salary Range: $75,753.60 - $87,276.80
Series: Group 11, Series 100
Location: Toronto, Yonge & Eglinton (on the Yonge subway line)
As the technological extension of Ontario’s public education system, TVO’s vision is to create a better world through the power of learning.
TVO provides learning opportunities for Ontarians through innovative educational products, in-depth current affairs, groundbreaking documentaries, and award-winning TVOKids resources both inside and outside the classroom. TVO is funded primarily by the Province of Ontario and is a registered charity supported by sponsors and thousands of donors. For more information, visit tvo.org.
Do you find the rapidly evolving media landscape exhilarating? Are you passionate about using technology to enable creativity, reach more people faster and delight them with high quality media? We’re looking for new team members to help us provide seamless, reliable solutions and support that enables our colleagues to do their best work.
The Media Infrastructure Specialist collaborates with internal subject matter experts from Operations, Creative and other Technology departments as well as external vendors to provide technical solutions and mission critical services through an appropriate combination of enthusiasm, technical, organizational and people skills.
- Infrastructure design, implementation and support, including:
- Electronic media infrastructure
- Basic software (low-level, OS level and specialized media applications excluding enterprise business such office back-end)
- Maintain Media network infrastructure, including:
- Servers, physical and virtual
- SAN, NAS and other networked and local storage systems
- Specialized, purpose specific components such as database, media and digital signal processing
- Components providing connectivity such as cabling, switches, etc.
- Environment control systems including power (UPS), technical cooling and humidification (HVAC), and their related control and monitoring systems
- Operational support, including
- Provide support during and following deployment of any related technology
- Prioritize competing issues and respond to emergencies
- Help create operational procedures and workflows based on technology
- Maintain TVO’s television and other media technical standards and procedures, and recommend solutions for continuous improvement as the business requirements evolve
- Provide input in selection, evaluation and integration of new broadcast and media related technology and assist in project based budgeting
- Design and provide technical project management support for relevant media related projects
- Direct and supervise contractors and vendors to ensure delivery to TVO’s satisfaction
- Analyze business requirements and provide technology and use based (workflow) solutions
- Create and maintain technical documentation such as engineering drawings, user guides and technical reports and contribute to growing a shared knowledge base for TVO support teams
- Help articulate, establish and enforce compliance with relevant technical standards
- Proactively contribute to change management activities
- Carry out lifecycle management activities on equipment including procurement, inventory and disposal of assets as required in compliance with TVO policies and procedures
- Proactively keep current on relevant technology through assigned training and independent learning
- Occasional shift work may be required, including evenings, weekends and holidays
- Occasional travel as required
- Degree or diploma in a relevant discipline such as electronics, IT and other media technology fields
- Minimum 7 years of related experience in a broadcast / media technology environment with similar responsibilities
- Demonstrated experience and ability in facility and workflow design and planning
- Experience with capacity planning, security principles, and general technology management best practices
- Experience with managing projects at various levels within a media technology engineering environment
- Extensive knowledge of technical and operational aspects of other broadcast / media facilities
- Demonstrated technical background including:
- Legacy analog and digital media/broadcast technologies such as cameras, recording/playback systems, switchers, etc.
- Current media/broadcast technologies such as servers, switches and related software components
- Knowledge of industry standards in wiring and interconnects current or legacy
- Ability to interpret, modify and create technical documentation including drawings, reports and specifications
- Excellent understanding of old and emerging standards such as SMPTE and EBU including IP based media workflows
- Current knowledge of broadcast media vendors and products
- Excellent hardware, software and system troubleshooting experience
- Competence with electronic and software test tools and procedures
- Experience in supporting technology environments including UPS, HVAC, fire protection, cabling, etc.
- Physical equipment installations
- Ability to work in team-oriented and highly collaborative environment
- Highly organized, self-motivated and able to act independently as needed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to communicate with appropriate styles as required for the audience
- Excellent analytical and practical problem solving skills
- Able to critically assess a multitude of issues and prioritize as appropriate
- Strong customer service and results orientation
- Ability to learn and adapt to new technologies and other skills
- Demonstrates TVO's values of Excellence & Innovation, Ownership, Collaboration, Trust and Respect
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a current resume by the stated date at 5:00 p.m.
For Additional information about TVO please check out our website at TVO.org to access all of our web properties.
TVO is an equal opportunity employer and will endeavour to accommodate job applicants with disabilities through the People & Culture Division. Upon request, all job postings will be made available in alternative format.
TVO is committed to achieve a skilled workforce reflective of the population of Ontario.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.