Date: June 11, 2018
Position Title: Instructional Designer
(6 month contract)
Division: Digital Learning
Reports To: Manager, Course Delivery
Salary Range: $72,112.04 - $84,837.48
Location: Toronto, Yonge & Eglinton (on the Yonge subway line)
As the Government of Ontario’s partner in digital learning, TVO’s vision is to create a better world through the power of learning.
TVO’s powerful learning products and services, rooted in the curriculum, help build an Ontario that can adapt, innovate, and compete globally. Our in-depth current affairs journalism from an Ontario perspective supports citizen engagement and a more robust democracy. TVO is funded primarily by the Province of Ontario and is a registered charity supported by sponsors and thousands of donors. For more information, visit tvo.org.
The Instructional Designer will use Ministry of Education curriculum guidelines to identify instructional strategies using a systematic approach to the design and content for distance learners enrolled in secondary school courses.
In collaboration with pedagogues and a broader TVO team including Interactive Media Specialists, the Instructional Designer will articulate design requirements and/or identify existing digital resources for independent online learning, and participate in the evaluation of the entire course when completed, to ensure students’ success.
Courses are delivered through the Independent Learning Centre (ILC).
- Work with an agile team to create a rich interactive learning experience
- Work with pedagogues to align course pedagogy with active learning and to plan for course interactivity
- Ensure that EDU priorities such as assessments for, as and of learning are meaningful, appropriate and authentic
- Contribute to the creation of requirements documents, Use Cases and digital elements, including the initial page appearance
- Ensure the principles of inclusivity and the legal requirements for accessibility are upheld
- Work with ILC copyright acquisition staff to ensure copyright compliance occurs within existing budgets
Instructional designers work actively throughout the course development process with other key TVO roles including but not limited to:
- Teacher-Writers, Pedagogues and Subject Matter Experts to create excellent course materials that are well organized and clearly presented, and that foster a sense of community online
- Interactive Media Specialists, Editors and Education Production Specialists to help realize the vision of the online course or digital asset
- Copyright Acquisition staff to ensure legal compliance and cost effectiveness (within budget)
- Participate actively and collaboratively to specified and clearly communicated deliverable dates
- Review and provide feedback on all course content and related documentation, in keeping with TVO's quality and time requirements
- Present engaging, interactive, rigorous and relevant courses that support learners of diverse backgrounds and ages
- Accountable for course quality in order to contribute to rates of course completion and student success
- Ensure course consistency with our guiding principles and processes
- Accountable for course documentation
- Support leaders in achieving the ILC's educational mission and mandate
Qualifications & Skills:
- 2+ years of proven experience creating learning using Adobe Captivate
- University degree, preferably a Masters in Educational Technology or Instructional Design, or equivalent, with a minimum of 2 years. related work experience in Instructional Design for active, online learning
- Proven ability to design appropriate, accessible and engaging educational content for the independent online learner
- Practical, applied knowledge of pedagogy for active learning
- Information technology skills at a level that facilitates the rapid design and development of web-base, widget-driven online learning
- Understanding of how to build effective and authentic assessment of, as and for learning
- Basic project management skills
- Superior interpersonal, communication, and conflict management skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a variety of roles at all levels
- Proven ability to provide meaningful, targeted feedback on how to develop engaging online lessons
- Demonstrates TVO's values of Excellence & Innovation, Ownership, Collaboration, Trust and Respect
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a current resume by the stated date at 5:00 p.m.
For Additional information about TVO please check out our website at www.tvo.org to access all of our web properties.
TVO is an equal opportunity employer and will endeavour to accommodate job applicants with disabilities through the Talent and Engagement office. Upon request, all job postings will be made available in alternative format.
TVO is committed to achieve a skilled workforce reflective of the population of Ontario.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.