Date: April 26, 2019
Position Title: Product Manager
Division: Revenue, Product Development & Marketing
Reports To: Director, Product Management
Location: Toronto, Yonge & Eglinton (on the Yonge subway line)
As the Government of Ontario’s partner in digital learning, TVO’s vision is to create a better world through the power of learning.
TVO’s powerful learning products and services, rooted in the curriculum, help build an Ontario that can adapt, innovate, and compete globally. Our in-depth current affairs journalism from an Ontario perspective supports citizen engagement and a more robust democracy. TVO is funded primarily by the Province of Ontario and is a registered charity supported by sponsors and thousands of donors. For more information, visit tvo.org.
Are you passionate about solving problems and building educational digital products? Do you love to test and learn from users? Do you have experience in game development for children? Do you love to find creative ways to meet educational requirements? Can you pitch in and help from strategy to QA testing in order to get stuff done? Do you like to ask questions? Can you work in a lean-startup fashion? If so we want to hear from you!
TVO is on an ambitious long-term strategy, to develop unique products that will transform learning and engage citizens. The Product Manager acts as a hub for a cross-functional team and serves as the internal and external champion for the product, its end users and TVO’s goals. You will manage a product through its lifecycle and ensure we are building the right product at the right time for our users.
The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate that they are adaptable, change-oriented, excellent communicators and collaborators. You will have the ability to wear multiple hats, be self-organizing and delivery oriented.
- Collaborate with teams to connect the vision to the goals of complex and critical projects or product feature sets
- Collaborate and communicate with stakeholders from multiple disciplines (digital education, finance, legal, data, support), and across multiple product lines
- Clearly understand the market and the opportunity of TVO’s clientele, and help stakeholders make the right strategic decisions
- Run a tight Agile ship to ensure timely delivery
- Work with our users to collect feedback to improve and enhance the quality of the shipped product
- Develop a deep understanding of the problem statement and product vision
- Participate in market research and competitive analysis to determine size of opportunity and value of the product to end users
- Contribute to market/audience development and definition
- Champion an understanding across the team of the educational requirements
- Manage and execute user testing and feedback to find product/market fit
- Determine key non-functional requirements (scale, devices and supported technology, scale, security, availability)
- Lead team to set goals for each 2 week sprint
- Lead brainstorming and ideation sessions
- Determine functional requirements and priorities for development
- Participate in some project management activities
- Contribute to feature definition, prioritization and acceptance criteria for features
- Participate in creation of use cases and user stories and some QA testing, when required
- Provide direction and some creation of creative elements where needed
- Participate in systems and process creation (lightweight)
- Ensure product cohesion and end-to-end experience
- Hypothesize, test, measure and iterate
- Lead cross-functional communication internally and to advisory committee
- 5+ years’ experience in digital product development and management, preferably in education and/or games for learning
- Substantial experience leading Agile product development, with a solid understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle
- Excellent stakeholder management skills to understand the needs and guide the direction for products and feature sets
- Strong product acumen and Design Thinking
- Experience driving product decisions through customer development, user research, and analytics, and bringing products to market that solve real problems for real users
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills, strong attention to detail and comfort with organizing information
- Great problem solver, including in areas / markets that may be new for you
- Experience with frequent context switching and the ability to juggle multiple responsibilities at once
- Comfort in rolling up your sleeves and thriving in a fast-paced environment
- Strong team leader and player, and the ability to work across teams to ensure cohesion and alignment to a single product direction
- Analytic skills and experience using metrics to inform decisions
- Understanding of best practices in web development and design, preference for an understanding of game design and development
- Demonstrated leadership in the face of changing business requirements and organizational change
- Demonstrates TVO's values of Excellence & Innovation, Ownership, Collaboration, Trust and Respect
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a current resume by the stated date at 5:00 p.m.
For Additional information about TVO please check out our website at TVO.org to access all of our web properties.
TVO is an equal opportunity employer and will endeavour to accommodate job applicants with disabilities through the People & Culture Division. Upon request, all job postings will be made available in alternative format.
TVO is committed to achieve a skilled workforce reflective of the population of Ontario.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.